The Glenwood Gazette
Volume II, Issue 3
Visit Glenwood Recreation Club at www.glenwoodpool.com.
Cyber-Circulation: Approximately 300.
April 5, 2004
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Annual Meeting Recap
- Renovation Update from the President
- Help Wanted: 2004 Life Guards and Glenwood Snack Bar Manager
- Summer 2004 GRC Social Calendar, and How You Can Help
- Grounds Update: Do You Have What It Takes to be a GlenDog?
Annual Meeting Recap
Nearly 100 members turned out for the Annual Meeting of the Glenwood
Recreation Club, Inc. on Wednesday, March 10 at Woodlin Elementary School.
- Presentation of a Renovation Update by President Bruce Lupin
- Approval of the FY2004 Budget, as presented by Treasurer Mike Koon
- Reports from Swim Team Rep Kathy McNickle and Dive Team Rep Steve Schrier
- An overview of 2004 Membership Dues and Procedures from Vice President Ed Finn
- Announcement of an opening date of Saturday, May 29 (Memorial Day Weekend), with the possibility (stay tuned) of an earlier opening
- Election of Pam Stigile to a two-year term on the Board of Directors
- Acceptance of a suggestion to include Board Meeting Highlights in future issues of The Glenwood Gazette
- The winner of our annual Membership Raffle was the Caffes family.
Renovation Update from the President
I had the pleasure of reporting on the progress of our Phase II Renovation during
the Annual Meeting on March 10. In summary, our project is both on schedule and
on budget! In addition, we are able to move forward with a pool heater, giving us one of
the few heated private membership pools in Montgomery County.
As of the end of March, the entire pool is now poured and molded, and we are
about to move forward with the coping and tiling phases of the project. The general
contractor is proceeding with the electrical and plumbing work, which will be followed
by the pouring of the concrete decks around the pool. Every day, work continues with
earth movement and topographical fine-tuning. The last step will be final pool-side lawn
installation and landscaping. The facility is going to be absolutely beautiful.
You can view a full pictorial chronology, including the latest photos, of the entire
project since early last fall at www.glenwoodpool.com. Please stop by the pool the next
time you have a minute. Then, close your eyes and begin imagining all the fun we’ll
have starting in less than two months.
~Bruce Lupin, Board President
The annual GRC Membership Dues mailing should reach your mailbox in the next few
days. Please respond with your 2004 dues at your earliest convenience. As a reminder,
for each friend or neighbor you refer as a new member, you’ll receive a book of guest
passes. Membership dues information and application forms can be found at
Pool Operations Manager Dan McNickle is building the 2004 Life Guard Team.
All interested candidates should contact Dan directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or
We also need a volunteer to organize the Snack Bar. Duties include training the
young people who sell food and organizing volunteers to maintain inventory. For details,
please contact Board President Bruce Lupin at email@example.com or 301/589-6225.
The 2004 Glenwood Calendar is now posted at
www.glenwoodpool.com/2004calendar/040322CAL.htm. To help with
any of the following events this summer, please contact Dave Coyne at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Glenwood Open House (May 1)
- Spring Clean-Up Weekends (Saturdays/Sunday in April/May),
- Grand Re-Opening Extravaganza (May 29)
- New Member Welcome Party (June 20)
- Movie Nights (June 15, August 13)
- Ladies’ Nights (June 17, July 22)
- Fourth of July Party (July 4)
- MLB All-Star Game at the Big G (July 13)
- Crab Feast (July 17)
- End of Summer Bash (Labor Day Weekend)
- ‘As Needed’ (Thank You!)
At the Annual Meeting, I announced the formation of an elite grounds
improvement and maintenance team, to be known as the “GlenDogs”. The first date for
our work will be Saturday, April 24. We’ll then continue with Saturdays and Sundays
thereafter, continuing right up until Opening Weekend, then selectively thereafter.
If you like to get “down and dirty” and want to make a difference in the
functionality and beautification of Glenwood Recreation Club, please contact me
(email@example.com) to be added to the growing team of GlenDogs.
On a side note, during the Annual Meeting, discussion took place on the
continued feasibility of a sandbox for young children (and, well, maybe not so young
ones). Due to the discussion it engendered, we have decided not to do it now and to
make it an item for a tot playground committee to plan a play area and play equipment
for the younger children. If you are interested to be a member of the “Playground
Committee” contact me at the email above.
~ Tim Durkin, Grounds Guy and Head GlenDog
- Renovation Update from the President
- 2004 Membership Campaign Update
- 2004 GRC Social Event Schedule and Volunteer Sign-Up
- Meet Our New Dive Team Coach